Frequently Asked Questions – Collections Department

Q: When are Real Estate Taxes Due for Bennington?
A: Town of Bennington Real Estate Taxes are due (1) time a year. Bills are mailed late August of every year and are due on November 10th.

Q: When are Water and/or Sewer bills due?
A: Water and sewer bills for the Town of Bennington are billed and collected quarterly.

Q: What happens if I can’t pay in full by the due date? Is there a grace period?
A: We encourage the property owner to pay as much as they can by the due date. There is NO grace period. A one-time penalty will be assessed on the remaining balance as of 4:30pm that day. This is a state imposed penalty of 8%. For every month thereafter, interest of 1% will be added based on principle until the balance is paid in full.

Q: How can I pay my Real Estate Taxes or Water / Sewer bill?
A: At the Town Offices we accept checks and cash. Credit cards are accepted with a convenience fee. There is a locked drop box for payments at the front entrance of the Town offices at 205 South Street. Payments can also be made by mail to P.O. Box 469 Bennington, VT 05201.

Q: How do I pay by Credit Card?
A: Yes. You can call ACI Payments at 1-800-272-9829 or go to their website: or stop by the Town Offices. You will need your jurisdiction code (5507) and your account number. You may pay your water, sewer, or real estate taxes. Please be advised that a convenience fee will be charged.

Q: Are there any discounts if I pay early?
A: No, there are no discounts offered for paying before the due date on real estate taxes, water or sewer bills.

Q: Can I have my bills mailed to someone else (tenant)?
A: All bills (real estate, water, & sewer) MUST be mailed to the property owner (ONLY). If the mailing address is changed for real estate taxes, it is changed for ALL correspondence from the Town of Bennington including water and sewer billings.

Q: How do I have my tax and water / sewer bill sent to a different address?
A: You will need to fill out a change of address form and return it to the Assessor’s Office. Please note only one mailing address is available for each parcel for all bills.

Q: What if my taxes are escrowed, will my lender receive a tax bill?
A: Even if your taxes are escrowed, you will receive a bill as the property owner. If your mortgage company requests a copy, one will be sent to them. If your mortgage company does not request a copy of your bill, it is your responsibility to get it to them. The Town of Bennington will send copies only if requested by a mortgage company or bank. As a property owner, you are solely responsible for payment when due. If your mortgage company is supposed to make payments on your behalf, or if you do not receive a bill, it is your responsibility to follow-up and see that payment is made when due to avoid penalty and interest.