Most documents are available online in pdf (Portable Document Format) and can be viewed using a free pdf reader from Adobe . Most web browsers will now open a PDF as well.
Some older documents may be scanned files. To obtain "live" PDF files that are compatible with vision impaired readers such as JAWS, please contact the Communications Coordinator.
Zoning Regulations & Ordinances
Town of Bennington Vermont Land Use and Development Regulations (Zoning and Subdivision Regulations) (6.1 MB pdf)
Article 30 – Property Maintenance Ordinance (pdf)
Maps and Appendix for the Land Use and Development Regulations (must be read in conjunction with Land Use and Development Regulations)
- Land Use and Development Regulations Maps (3 MB pdf)
Map 1 – Entire Town Zoning Districts
Map 2 – Town Center Zoning Districts
Map 3 – Town Center Form-Based-Design Areas
Map 4 – Historic Bennington Design Review District
Map 5 – Planned Commercial Design Review District
Map 6 – Airport Approach Zone
Map 7 – Fluvial Erosion Hazard Areas
- Time and Place In Bennington (Downtown Bennington Design Review District Design Standards) (8.9 MB pdf)
- Vendor Ordinance (pdf)
- Sign Ordinance (pdf)
- Housing, Building and Life Safety Ordinance for the Town of Bennington (pdf)
- Vermont Fire and Building Safety Code (State Website link)
- Vermont Rental Housing Health Code (State Website link – pdf)
- Vacant Building & Spaces Registration Form
- Public Works Ordinance - Construction Ordinance for the Town of Bennington (road, sidewalk, curb, culvert, water and sewer construction standards). Contact our office for a photocopy of this document.
THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE IS OFFERED AS A GENERAL GUIDE TO LAND USE PERMITTING IN BENNINGTON. PLEASE CALL THE BENNINGTON PERMITTING DEPARTMENT AT 802-442-1037 REGARDING SPECIFIC QUESTIONS AND ISSUES REGARDING BENNINGTON LAND USE PERMITS.
ALL APPLICANTS FOR A PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL PROJECTS SHOULD CONTACT THE TOWN’S PLANNING DIRECTOR AND BUILDING INSPECTOR FOR AN INFORMAL REVIEW OF THE PROJECT BEFORE ANY PERMIT APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED TO THE TOWN.