The duties of justices of the peace can fall into five categories of responsibilities:
Elections. Justices of the peace are members of the Board of Civil Authority (BCA). Members of the BCA serve as election officials at town or statewide elections. Justices also are responsible for delivering absentee ballots to voters at election time.
Tax Abatement and Appeals. Justices of the peace sit as members of the town board for abatement of taxes to determine whether a taxpayer’s tax obligation should be forgiven under certain circumstances. Justices of the peace also serve an important role in the town’s tax appeal process. As a member of the board of civil authority, justices sit to hear and decide appeals when citizens do not agree with the final decision of the listers.
Marriages. Justices of the peace may also solemnize marriages in Vermont.
Oaths and Notary. Justices of the peace may also administer oaths in all cases where an oath is required, unless the law makes a different provision. A justice of the peace is a notary public ex officio and has all the acknowledgment powers of a notary public.
Magistrate. Justices of the peace may also serve as a magistrate when so commissioned by the Supreme Court.
This information is available at the Vermont Secretary of State’s Website
The Justices of the Peace in the Town of Bennington:
- Jerry Albert
- Barbara Bluto
- William Greer
- Tom Haley III
- Michele Hogan
- Jackie Kelly
- Albert Krawczyk
- Vickie Lampron
- Bruce Lee-Clark
- Brian Maroney Jr
- James H. Marsden
- Anne Mook
- Mary Morrissey
- Joan Pinsonneault
- David Shaffe
Justices who perform Ceremonies 2023-2024:
Justices of the Peace who perform marriage ceremonies are listed below along with contact information. The fee for their services varies and is settled between the couple and the Justice performing the ceremony.
- Jerry Albert - 136 Main Street - (802)379-0612 /(802)447-7938
- Barbara Bluto - 106 Park Street #15 - (802) 558-0716
- William Greer - 1 College Drive - (936) 615-0857
- Tom Haley III - 256 North Street, Apt C - (413) 672-2453
- Michele Hogan - 132 Cardinal Lane - (802) 379-7997 / (802) 442-2157
- Jackie Kelly - 557 Fox Hill Road - (802) 379-4350
- Vickie Lampron - 11 Browning Place - (802) 733-5721
- Bruce Lee-Clark - 224 Washington Avenue - (802)379-4701
- Brian Maroney Jr. - 245 Bradley Drive - (802)688-6733
- James H. Marsden - 709 County Street - (802) 442-8797
- Anne Mook - 106 Park Street #6 - (802) 375-3810
- David B. Shaffe - 229 Union Street - (802) 442-5203